Monday, April 27, 2009

Shrimp Fried Quinoa

Oh I guess you could say I've been on an "Asian" kick lately..... but I'm not getting any complaints! I got the idea for this from my local health food store's website (Harvest Health). Mine ended up being a bit different...but still very tasty.

Quinoa is chock full of protein and fiber- and can be a great substitute for rice. So when I came across the Shrimp Fried Quinoa Recipe, I had to try it. The recipe went together very easily, and my husband ate peas!!! We all really enjoyed this- much tastier than the "fried rice" you get at the take-out places. I will definitely make this again, and will be putting it on file as one of my go-to meals, for when I just don't know what to make! You could definitely use different vegetables as well. (or chicken!)

Shrimp Fried Quinoa

1 cup Quinoa, rinsed (I used half inca red and half regular, for color)
2 cups water
Dash of salt
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 small carrots, sliced thin
1 cup frozen peas
2 Tbsp Canola oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. Fresh Ginger Root, minced
1 1/2 cups thawed pre-cooked shrimp, tails removed, and chopped
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce (I love the stuff!!!)
1/2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
1/8 cup white wine

1. In a saucepan, combine salt, quinoa and water, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes (until the water has been absorbed). Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and white wine. Set aside.
3. Heat a wok on medium high heat (6-7) add the oil, ginger, garlic, onion, and carrot. Saute until tender, but not mushy. Add the peas, and the shrimp.
4. Add the quinoa, and the sauce, distributing, saute until the shrimp and peas are warmed through- make sure your peas aren't still frozen!!!

2 comments:

  1. I've never used quinoa. I'll have to pick some up to try when we start getting all the good stir fry veggies from the farm next month

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome recipe...easy and tasty!
    Thanks,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete