Saturday, April 4, 2009

"Chinese Take-Out"

This is a recipe I make very often. I have adapted it from meals matter. The sauce reminds me of the beef and broccoli sauce you would get from chinese takeout. I never have any complaints when I make this meal for my boys. The flank steak is great as a "stir-fry" meat. I have also included our favorite way to make basic rice, the stock adds a little more flavor.




Beef with Vegetables in Oyster Sauce


1 Lb. Flank Steak

3 Tbsp Soy Sauce

2 Tbsp Dry Red Wine
2 Tbsp Chicken Broth

6 Tbsp Oyster Sauce (I use Kikkoman Brand)
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar

2 Tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
2 tsp Cornstarch

4 Garlic cloves, minced or "microplained"

1 Inch Piece of Ginger Root, minced or "microplained"
2 Carrots, cut into matchsticks

1 small head of Broccoli, cut into florets

Handful of Green Beans, halved



1. Trim the Flank Steak of any excess fat. Cut into 1 inch strips with the grain, then slice across the grain into 1/8 inch thick slices. Put the Steak in a bowl, add the soy sauce, and let marinate in the fridge for about an hour.

2. Whisk the chicken broth, oyster sauce, red wine, brown sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch together in a bowl. Combine the garlic and ginger in a separate bowl.


3. Heat some oil in a wok over medium high heat. Add the steak in batches, until browned on each side and around the edges. Set the steak aside.

4. I usually steam my vegetables (especially carrots and green beans) a bit over the rice (while it is simmering) to give them a head start on getting tender, then I transfer them to the wok with a little oil, and saute until tender crisp.

5. In the empty wok, add a tablespoon of oil, and your ginger and garlic, saute over medium- low heat for about 3 minutes, add your vegetables, and saute over medium heat until tender but crisp, add the steak, add your sauce, and mix well, sauteing until the sauce has thickened. Serve over Rice.


Basic Rice


2 cups Chicken Broth

1/2 tsp salt

1 Cup white rice (long grain)

2 Tbsp Butter

Add all ingredients in a sauce pan, Bring to a boil, boiling until little tunnels form, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Let sit for 5 minutes before fluffing and serving.

1 comment:

  1. That's my favorite chinese dish so we'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete