Saturday, February 14, 2009

Slow Cooker Chipotle-Lime Chicken Thighs

My husband and I went out to eat last weekend for our 1st anniversary, so instead of going out on one of the busiest and cheesiest days of the year, I've decided to make a romantic dinner for us here at home, using leftover chipotle peppers from my Guisado earlier this week. On the menu tonight is Robin Millers Chipotle-Lime Chicken Thighs with Jamaican Rice and Peas, which I found on Food Network. I did scale my version down a bit, I did not think we needed 4 pounds of chicken! Next time I will probably use only 8 oz of tomato sauce, and 1/2 cup each of celery and carrots. Sorry this was posted late, I had some issues with the pics, still trying to get that down!



We paired this with hand shaken margaritas, made by my husband. We sat down for dinner after the children had gone to bed- what a difference to have a quiet dinner at home! I think I'm going to make it a point to have one quiet dinner with my husband every 2 weeks. It was very refreshing!



Slow Cooker Chipotle-Lime Chicken Thighs

2 Lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
3/4 Cup Chopped Carrot
3/4 Cup Chopped Celery
1 Onion, sliced thinly
1 15 oz can Tomato Sauce
1 Chipotle Pepper with 1 tsp Adobo Sauce
1/4 Cup Lime Juice
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper
1 Avocado, diced
Lime wedges for garnish
Cilantro if desired

1. Arrange Onion, Celery, and Carrot in the bottom of your slow cooker. Trim the Chicken Thighs of excess fat. Season Chicken Thighs with Salt and Pepper, and arrange on top of the vegetables.

2. In your food processor, combine tomato sauce, lime juice, chipotle chiles, and garlic. Pulse until well combined, then pour over the chicken.

3. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high. Serve with Jamaican Rice and Peas, Avacodo, and Cilantro.

Jamaican Rice and Peas

1 1/2 Cups White Rice
1 14 oz Can Unsweetened Coconut Milk
3/4 Cup Water
1 15 oz Can Red Beans, drained
1 tsp Dried Thyme
1/2 tsp finely grated Lime Zest
Salt and Pepper


In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except salt and pepper. Set to high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer as long as your particular rice directions say, usually about 20-25 minutes. Season with Salt and Pepper
.

1 comment:

  1. That chicken looks amazing & is that chocolate fondue?!

    ReplyDelete