Saturday, January 31, 2009

Crock Pot Brunswick Stew- Kristin Style



We like Brunswick Stew- there is a BBQ restaurant here called Smokey Bones that makes a good one with bits of all their smoked meats. After reading a lot of different recipes, I've come up with my own..... not as traditional with okra and lima beans, or lots of smoked meats... and have cooked it in the crockpot. I tend to do this a lot when working with my crockpot nowadays (just throw some stuff in there and call it something clever!) Here is my version:

K-Style Brunswick Stew (in the Crock Pot
)

5 slices Bacon, crisped and chopped
1 Cup Cubed Ham (I may use a ham shank next time)
1 Lb. Chicken Breast, cut into small pieces
1 medium size Onion, finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
2 Carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks of Celery, finely chopped
3-4 smallish Red Potatoes, cubed
1 can Corn, with liquid (will use creamed corn next time)
1 15 oz. can Stewed Tomatoes
8 oz. Tomato Sauce
2 Cups Chicken Broth
3 Tbs. BBQ Spice Rub
1 Tsp. Worcestshire Sauce
4-5 drops Tabasco Sauce
1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard
3-4 Tbsp. BBQ Sauce
1 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Oregano
1/2 Tsp. Sage
2 Bay Leaves
Fresh Ground Pepper

Throw everything in the Pot, cook on high for a couple of hours, then low until ready to serve (about 8 hrs total) Beware: when throwing things in the pot- it tends to make a lot!! But when I crockpot I like to make enough for a couple of meals. I love the way the house smells all day!

1 comment: