Friday, April 24, 2009

Chicken Stir Fry


I never used to like doing stir-fry until I started making my own sauces. The bottled ones just don't do it for me, I never know what they are going to taste like, and the powdered ones, well let's just not go there. I usually do beef for stir fry, so I thought I'd switch it up a bit and do chicken today. This is another sauce that we like- adapted from Recipezaar. Add your own meats, veggies, sesame seeds, sprouts, and make it a meal, served over rice or pasta. Yum!

Brown Garlic Sauce


2/3 Cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth

1/3 Cup Rice Wine (I just used white wine)

3 1/2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Tbsp. Sesame Oil

1/4 tsp. Pepper

2 Tbsp. Cooking Oil
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic

1 Tbsp. Minced Ginger

2 Tbsp Cornstarch
1/4 Cup Water


1. In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, broth, wine, sugar, sesame oil, and pepper.


2. Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/4 cup water.


3. Heat a pan over high heat, add the cooking oil, add the garlic and ginger, cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.


4. Add the soy sauce mixture, bring to a boil.


5. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 1 minute.


6. Add the cornstarch solution and cook, stirring until the sauce boils and thickens.


7. Add to your stir-fry!

Tip: I used chicken breast for this (about 3/4 lb. for my family, which gave leftovers for lunch), sliced thin, and poured a little soy sauce and oyster sauce (left over from my other stir fry recipe!) and let it sit for maybe 5-10 minutes before cooking. As usual, I cheated and steamed my veggies over the rice, while cooking the chicken, then added the veggies to the wok, added the sauce, and stirred until thickened. This sauce recipe makes quite a bit, but you can refrigerate the other half for another use (or if you like saucy stir-fry- use it all!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah we make all our own sauces now too. Your brother is really good at just dreaming them up

    ReplyDelete