Friday, January 23, 2009

Quinoa Porridge with Fresh Fruit

I adapted this recipe from a recipe I found at Noshtopia
Here is my version:

Quinoa Porridge with Fresh Fruit

1 1/4 Cups cooked Quinoa (I used Red Inca to give it some color)
3/4 Cup cooked Amaranth
1/2 Cup cooked Millet

Information on cooking whole grains can be found at Whole Grains Council

2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Cups Vanilla Hemp Milk
3 Tbsp. Agave Nectar (you could also use honey)
2 Tbsp. Brown Rice Syrup (a nice substitute for corn syrup or sugar... but is not quite as sweet)
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Fresh Fruit ( I used Bananas and Blueberries)

1. Preheat your oven to 350.
2. Melt butter, brown rice syrup, and agave nectar (microwave or saucepan)
3. Combine melted butter, agave nectar, brown rice syrup, hemp milk, cinnamon, & vanilla, mix
4. Add quinoa, amaranth, and millet
5. Place in baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. (my oven is off, so I had to bake mine longer....I took it out after 35 minutes, removed the foil, and baked for another 20).

Cool, and put in dessert dishes if serving for dessert, and top with a drizzle of agave nectar and fresh fruit before serving. Another great way is warm with a drizzle of heavy cream and fresh fruit.

We ate this for breakfast, a great way to start out your day, with whole grains, fiber and lots of protein. Yum!

I don't know how to put pictures on the computer yet, but when I figure it out (hopefully soon) I will start posting pictures.

2 comments:

  1. We eat steel cut oatmeal every morning with dried fruit. It is a perfect way to start the day & keeps Matt from getting hungry too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Yes Yes - I love how you basically used a pilaf technique to make the grains . . . I do the same thing because they always turn out perfectly that way, never burnt or mushy.

    Just out of curiousity, what brand of hemp milk are you using?

    ReplyDelete