Sunday, March 8, 2009

Indian- Inspired Crock Pot Beef Stew

The past couple of weeks have been so busy and crazy I really didn't get time to cook anything really exciting, let alone blog about it... hopefully things will calm down now and I can get back into the swing of things.... Today I was in Kalamazoo all afternoon for an appointment, and wasn't home to make dinner, so yesterday I prepared this Indian Curry Stew, and all I had to do was pop it in the crock pot all day to simmer while I was gone. This is one I made up on the spot.... the ingredients are not all traditional to Indian Food, but I was going for an Indian- inspired Beef Stew.

Indian Beef Curry Stew

2 Lbs. Round Steak, cubed (or 2 Lbs beef stew meat)
3 medium Carrots, sliced thickly
2 medium Potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
1 medium Onion, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
1 tsp. Tumeric
2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
1 1/2 Tbsp Garam Masala
2 crushed Bay Leaves
1 1/2 inch piece Ginger, minced (I used the microplane)
pinch Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp. Minced Onion
1 1/2 Tbsp. Red Curry Paste
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Cinnamon Stick
15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice


1. Place the carrot, potato, and onion in the crockpot first, then top with the beef.
2. Mix the garlic, cumin, paprika, tumeric, curry powder, garam masala, bay leaves, ginger, cayenne, minced onion, and red curry powder together. Add the tomato sauce and water, mix to combine, then pour over the beef.
3. Cover and set to low, and simmer all day (7-9 hrs.) Add the lemon juice during the last half hour.
4. Serve over rice if desired.


It was a hectic day the day we ate this, and I totally forgot to take a picture. I would definitely use Beef Stew Meat next time, as the Round Steak did not have the consistency I desired. It was tasty though!

1 comment:

  1. I bet we'd like that too, its all the flavors we love

    ReplyDelete